MATERIALS ENGINEER-SURFACE TREATMENT
My Client is a leading provider of integrated avionics, engines, systems and service solutions for aircraft manufacturers, airlines, business and general aviation, military space, and airport operations. The Aerospace Yeovil site includes Integrated Supply Chain operations and Engineering & Technology as well as other support functions. It specializes in several product lines including environmental control systems, life support systems, hydraulics systems, and control and data systems.
I have an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to join our site in Yeovil as a Materials Engineer. The appointed candidate will be focusing on REACH obsolescence within our current product range, identifying REACH obsolescence and investigating appropriate alternatives based upon product specifications.
Hexavalent chromium (Cr VI) treatments were banned by REACH European regulation in 2017 in general, with an extended authorization applicable to the aircraft industry ending in September 2024 (March 2024 for certain authorisations for Chromic acid).
Cr VI treatments are utilized on a large number of parts spread over the Yeovil portfolio.
Candidate will work alongside the team in Yeovil, to identify potential alternative compound or process is recommended and what engineering activity needs to be performed to verify the alternatives, to address the REACH noncompliance on or products.
Knowledge and interest in the following areas for Aerospace applications is required:
• Surface Treatments incl. Chemical & Electro-Chemical Processing (e.g., anodizing, plating, painting, shot peening, specialty coatings & treatments, lubrication, etching)
• Environmental regulations, including REACH, TSCA etc.
The general description of the tasks includes:
• Review existing drawings for REACH obsolescence (materials and processes).
• Review REACH compliant alternative process specifications and applicability.
• Provide justification report for alternative process/material (Material similarity report) against each customer/design specification.
• Create IR’s (Investigation Reports) to instigate drawing changes providing technical justification.
• Work in accordance with procedures and design standards and to contribute to developing best working practices.
• Be committed to delivering against project schedules and meeting project milestones whilst working within a multi project team environment.
Candidate will be part of cross functional team of Design Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality and Sourcing, working closely with Yeovil and global Materials Engineering team to support REACH compliance project and deliver on key Milestones.
– A minimum of a Degree or HNC/HND in Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Chemistry or similar.
– Experience in a materials design/selection and/or process engineering role is preferred.
– Experience with Environmental legislation, including the REACH regulations.
– Experience would be beneficial in any of the following: writing specifications, drawing review & approval, technical reports writing, documentation change management, developing process parameters, troubleshooting or auditing manufacturing processes (incl. special processes), process control and compliance.
– Experience in the aerospace industry or with a supplier to aerospace industry preferred. The job involves knowledge of aerospace materials specifications and the manufacturing processes used to make the part. Experience with NADCAP and Industry specification requirements is desirable.
– In-depth knowledge of and experience with Aerospace Materials and Processes, Process Selection, Specifications and Applications.
– Ability to communicate clearly & concisely on complex technical matters to various levels in the organisation.
– Ability to multi-task and re-prioritize tasks quickly in a dynamically changing environment.
Pay Rate £25-£35 Per hour
If you are interested and have the desired skills please get in touch with Ian at Holt Engineering on 07734406996